Thursday, 27 August 2026

Stories from a photo album - or - Putting the Women back in the Women's Legion!

I recently discovered over 200 photographs in three albums of Women’s Legion Motor Drivers’ experiences during and directly after World War I. The albums - held in a Toronto Archive belonged to Muriel M. English, beginning when she was working in the British Red Cross Convoys from 1915-1918. They also include images of the The Royal Army Service Corps, the Voluntary Aid Detachment, and others.  Among the photographs are other ephemera, including Christmas cards, postcards, and a leave pass.
 
 

 “Taken at Boesinghe, in Raging heat.”
 
This is a truly remarkable - and free to access - archive that has been digitised and presented on Flckr (see first link at the end of the blog).  She was born in 1881 in Cambridgeshire and until the War, did not have an occupation. When I looked a bit closer at Muriel's life, I discovered that it had already been extensively researched in a really interesting blog (see below) and so I decided, that as there are some named women (alas usually only a surname!) in the albums I'd have a go at researching them and bringing their stories to life.. Before I carry on - here are a few photos of Muriel aka, and helpfully named, as  self" in the album!
 
  
 
“Self & Sid: Deasy.”
No-one knows why the ambulance is called "Deasy"! 

 
 
Muriel was invited to a Buckingham Palace Garden Party in 1919.
 
 


She married Arthur Parker in 1924 I was lucky enough to find a photo of
their wedding at Bath Abbey
  
Arthur died in 1940 and Muriel survived him by 33 years. She married late in life -when she was 44 but was one of thousands of women who found their vocation and a fulfilling life during the War years - indeed she was active from 1914 to 1919. A long way from remaining a Rector's daughter in Cambridgeshire.
 
There are 200 photos on Flickr and a really excellent account of her life and particularly her War Service in the aforementioned blog - I highly recommend a browse! 
  
My next blogs will be about some of the women pictured in the photo album - as you can see, an intrepid bunch!
 
 

 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasfisherlibrary/albums/72157703315352932/with/40111069373
 
https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/2024/august/muriel-the-ambulance-driver/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment