Saturday 17 September 2022

Who's That Girl? Family mysteries

Many of us have photos that have been passed down through the family that are so old, there is no-one left to help identify them! When my mother in law died 2 years ago, we found 100s of wonderful family photos - if only we had known about them! She would have helped us to put names to faces. 
 
Although I hardly know anything about some of them, they are such lovely old photos I thought I would share a few of the very stylish women who are in the collection!

"Agnes 1920"

I do have a first name and even a date on the back of this photo but frustratingly, I cannot find an Agnes yet in the family. Both of my husband's grandparents had very large families; Agnes could be an aunt, sister in law or other female member of the family. As  yet I have no idea, but I love her calm face, understated jewellery and smart spectacles! 
 

 "From Auntie to Dorris"

Another photo that has a tantalising message on the back. Dorris was my husband's great aunt. "Auntie" could be one of her mother or father's sisters - there are a LOT! However, she does look very much like Dorris's mother - Sarah Eilbeck. The clothes and jewellery are as similarly understated as those of Agnes, especially the choker worn at the neck.

And now some of the real mystery women!
 




I wondered if these were possibly the same woman at different ages? the photo on the left has the date "25 June 192?" on the back. I need to search through some more photos to see if there are any clues. This lady is wearing far more jewellery than the previous women - and I love the hair decoration. 





My favourite mystery woman! So classy - even the little card that encloses the photograph is beautiful! This woman is the least adorned - and yet the simplicity just accentuates her lovely features. I have inherited a lot of costume jewellery with my mother in law's things. I am going to try and match up some of the items with those in these photos (when I get the time!).
 

 
This lady's accessories are just beautiful. A lovely brooch, gorgeous corsage and a stunning shawl.  Who she is, I have no idea!

My final mystery - are these photographs of the same woman?


I believe the photo on the left is of my husband's great grandfather, Joseph McDougall Smith. The photo was taken in Birmingham - where he came from before moving to the NW. The photo on the right is definitely of his wife as it has her maiden name written on the back (Fanny Vernon). Is the lady in the centre (of whom there are no clues) the same woman? Once again, lovely accessories including lace.

To end - some lovely ladies in the family who I have been able to identify!


My husband's great aunt Grace ("Gracie"). She lived to be 112! I have blogged about her previously. She had a very interesting life, living through two world wars and the terms of several Prime Ministers!



Gertrude was a half sister to my husband's grandfather (and much younger; his father had three wives). stunning photo.


My husband's grandmother, Sarah, older sister of Grace. She has a very large, elaborate bow in her hair but a much more simple outfit.

I have previously blogged about several of the people mentioned here. I shall be blogging about some of the others at a later date- it's not quite as complicated as it sounds! Lots and lots more photographs and stories of this lovely family.

No comments:

Post a Comment