Wednesday 9 February 2022

A Wealth of Family Bibles - One Family's Treasure

When I discovered the treasure trove of my mother in law's photos and family mementoes, I did not dare hope to find that Holy Grail for family historins - family bibles. I should have known better, considering the huge "archive" that had been passed down through the family. Sure enough, to my amazement and delight, I found eight!

 


 Five of the bibles,including one that my husband's grandfather, Joe, carried
with him in the Great War. The bible underneath the YMCA bible was published in
1857. I do not know whose bible this was.
 
I am going to be telling the family stories over the coming weeks, so  I will just share the photos and inscriptions of two bibles - belonging to my husband's great grandmothers - wonderful books that we can now hold.
 

 Sarah Eilbeck's bible. My husband's maternal great grandmother. 


This looks like it was given to her by "Mrs Findlay" 
I don't know who she is.
Sarah was born 28th May 1867

This bible was then handed down to Sarah's daughter, Sarah  Banks Rich who is my husband's grandmother, (Sarah Eilbeck married Henry Banks Rich)  I have been blogging about her - she married Joe Vernon Smith. Sarah wrote a lot of information in the bible.



I will be tracing the stories of most of these family members in later blogs.
However of note are two very sad and huge contrasts
Sarah and Joe's first child, a son, Kenneth, lived for 12 days -as noted in the bible.
Sarah's sister, Kathleen Grace Rich born in 1906 lived to be 112!
I will do a blog about her soon. 
Such poignancy reflected on a simple piece of paper.
 
 

A Bible belonging to Fanny (Franny) Vernon
This is my husband's paternal great grandmother.


Very helpfully, a date and name and a wonderful illustration were added!
Fanny's son, Joe, was a talented artist who sent sketches
back from the trenches.
Fanny was born in 1851 and so this would have probably
been given to her on her 18th birthday.
 
These wonderful family bibles are such treasures, symbolising the importance of religion to my husband's family over the years - it would seem that these women were the "family historians" of the past! I am very thankful to them for many reasons, in sharing the family's story we are keeping alive the stories of extraordinary people living "ordinary" lives.

And here are our historians -Sarah Eilbeck and Fanny Vernon




Sarah Eilbeck


 

 Fanny Vernon

I will leave Joe and Sarah's family for the time being. My next post is a romantic one for Valentine's Day! Joe and Sarah's romance illustrated by, of course, her postcard collection (for new readers, this is explained in earlier blog posts - Sarah was a very enthusiastic post card collector - which Joe contributed to with equal enthusiasm!)

It is an honour to share this family's story. I am so thankful to the women of the past who have treasured these "ordinary" family items and photographs.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment